Summer is here!! Well not officially but the weather here has certainly been acting like it’s summer. It has been super warm and humid. But being in Brooklyn this type of weather means that everyone flocks to the parks to escape the heat. Tai and I were no different. We went to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden to escape and then a movie later to get out of the heat. But I did get some baking done even though it was super hot out.
What better way to welcome summer than a strawberry crisp? It’s a quick dessert that won’t heat up your apartment too much and it goes great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. If you don’t trust me, just ask Tai 😉 I usually don’t like baking with strawberries because they lose their vibrant color and usually turn to mush. But this recipe retains both. The strawberries remain a fierce red and the texture is amazing thanks to some crunchy walnuts in the crumb topping.
So I have to admit that while baking another recipe, I burned my thumb very badly. So please ignore any spelling/grammar mistakes. I’m not going back to fix them, I’ve given up because my thumb is throbbing! So foodies, please don’t make the same mistake as me and grab a roasting pan with a flimsy potholder that slides a lot. Use one of the glove ones and preferably one that goes up to your elbows. In my case I’ll need a full body suit because burning myself seems to be a constant! #foodifail
But getting back to the food, seriously this strawberry crisp was amazing and you should definitely try it at your next picnic or BBQ!
- 6 Cups Strawberries Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 Tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 6 Tbsp Melted Butter
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a small baking dish and set aside.
- Combine strawberries with sugar, cornstarch, lemon, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Melt butter and let cool slightly. Combine with flour, sugar, chopped walnuts and salt. Stir until mixture begins to resemble loose crumbs.
- Transfer strawberry mixture into the pan and sprinkle with crumb topping. Cook on the center rack for 35 minutes or until center is bubbly and topping has browned. Let cool for 20 minutes, then serve. Enjoy!