Certain holidays are known for their food and drink. St Patrick’s Day and Cinco de Mayo have their well known food and drink but a trend I’ve been keen to catch on to is celebrating International Sushi Day with Sapporo. In honor of this upcoming holiday I’m partnering with Sapporo to share a Shrimp Tempura Sushi Roll that pairs amazingly with their beer and will make for a holiday that you won’t soon forget!
Sapporo is a great premium beer that you can have at so many different occasions. International Sushi Day, happy hour or any social gathering, if you want to class it up Sapporo is a great beer to try! Let me tell you, I’m a picky beer drinking and I really liked this one. It had a perfect balance and as weird as it sounds i really liked the can (yup it sounds weird but i’m leaving that in there because i really was impressed by the can!)
I traveled to Japan during a school trip in High School. It was my first time out of the country and the first time I experienced asian cuisine outside of General Tso’s Chicken. And growing up in rural New England, sushi was not common. I remember trying it for the first time in Japan. We were super jetlagged, didn’t know how to use chopsticks and were given a beautiful bento box with sushi for a first meal there. Ever since I’ve loved sushi and am happy that I’ve found a great (and now legal) drink to have with it!
If you’ve never made your own sushi, it couldn’t be easier. Step 1: grab beer (because you’ll get thirsty 😉 ). Step 2: prepare awesome fillings. Step 3: Spread rice and fillings, then roll away! I had a lot of misgivings about attempting this on my own but couldn’t be happier about how this turned out!
So if you’re looking for a great tasting beer that pairs perfectly with your favorite sushi, look no further than Sapporo! With International sushi Day fast approaching you’ll definitely want to have some on hand!
Shrimp Tempura Sushi Roll with Sapporo
- 10 Uncooked Shrimp
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 1/2 Cups Seltzer Water
- 6 Cups Vegetable Oil for frying
- 2 Sheets Nori
- 4 Cups Sushi Rice
- 1/2 Avocado Sliced
- Peel shrimp and slice on curved side so that shrimp can be laid out flat. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Mix together flour, corn starch and seltzer water. Dip shrimp in mixture and coat all surfaces.
- Heat oil and add a drop of batter to test. Batter should sizzle and fry on impact.
- Cook shrimp until batter has turned golden and shrimp turn pink, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove shrimp and let drain on wire rack.
- Assemble sushi by laying out a piece of saran wrap. Place nori on top and spread sushi rice on top. Flip over nori and spread rice onto the other side. Add shrimp and avocado slices.
- Roll sushi, then slice and enjoy with Sapporo Premium Beer!