Mushrooms and I have a love/hate relationship. I love the taste of mushrooms but often hate the consistency. Nothing is worse than having rubbery mushrooms on a pizza or overly oily mushrooms. BUT I have found that roasting mushrooms not only brings out the flavour but has an amazing consistency. When I made my Roasted Mushroom Gnocchi with Cream Sauce I loved how amazing the mushrooms tasted. Roasting them made a world of difference!
Gnocchi might be my favorite pasta. Honestly I never had it growing up and the first time I ordered it at a restaurant I totally butchered the pronunciation. But hey, live and learn right? It’s my favorite pasta to make from scratch because it’s easy to make and versatile. There are a lot of variations such as pumpkin gnocchi, sweet potato gnocchi, beet gnocchi, etc. I used the classic russet potato for this one because I wanted the mushrooms to be the star of my dish. But no matter which gnocchi variety you use, it will be delicious!
Of all the things I make for the blog, making sauces is my favorite. Weird, I know. But if I were a chef in a restaurant I would definitely be a saucier. I love developing a sauce that has rich flavor and depth because often the sauce MAKES the dish. If you order pasta at a restaurant more often than not you’d remember the sauce over the actual pasta. Making a good sauce is challenging, which is why I love it. Everything from making a roux to making sure it doesn’t separate, I find it fascinating.
So if you want a dreamy pasta with a banging sauce with the best mushrooms around, seriously look no further than my Roasted Mushroom Gnocchi with Cream Sauce. You won’t be disappointed!
I LOVE gnocchi and have made several other recipes. Check them out here:
Roasted Mushroom Gnocchi with Cream Sauce
- 1 Cup Oyster Mushrooms
- 1 Cup Miyake Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 10 Oz Gnocchi fresh or store bought
- 2 Shallots Minced
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 Cups Cream
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Tsp Ground Thyme
- Optional: Parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Beak mushrooms into small clumps and place onto a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 25 minutes.
- In a large pan, cook shallots and garlic until softened. Add chicken stock, cream, parmesan cheese, thyme and flour. Bring to a simmer and cook until liquid has reduced and thickened.
- In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and cook gnocchi as desired.
- Add gnocchi to the sauce and stir to combine. Mix in mushrooms and season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!