Do you ever get that feeling where you crave takeout Chinese food but you know it’s too hot out to actually eat takeout Chinese food? Yup, that was me this week. New York has hit a scorching 90+ degrees everyday this week, and it feels even hotter when you factor in humidity. Don’t even get me started on how much I try to avoid the sweltering subway this time of year. So what do you do when it gets this hot out? I camp out in my air conditioning (as weak as it is) and make my own Chinese food!
I made a Spicy Orange Chicken Stir Fry and it definitely hit the spot. It had the great taste of my favorite Chinese food, but without the deep frying or oil that often leaves me feeling bloated and overstuffed afterwards. This dish was made for a hot summer’s night! Or heck, any night!
I really like how quick stir frys are too. I LOVE to cook but when it gets this hot out, even I have my limits. But after several dinners of cold cereal and ice pops, we needed to make some real food. And as an added bonus, we used SOOOOO many vegetables in our stir fry experiments, which is awesome because we aren’t the best veggie eaters. That being said, if you want to add or remove vegetables from this recipe, go for it! Stir frys are easily customizable!
And in some personal news, I got a promotion at work, yay! I’ve worked my butt off for this new role and I’m beyond excited to start. I know the road ahead won’t be easy, but it will be new and exciting. And don’t worry, I’ll keep blogging too 😉
Spicy Orange Chicken Stir Fry
Spicy Orange Chicken Stir Fry is a great asian inspired dish that's definitely going to delight your taste buds! Sweet and spicy, this dish won't disappoint
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Pound Sliced Chicken Breast
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Sliced
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper Sliced
- 1 Cup Broccoli
- 1/2 Cup Water Chestnuts
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Marmalade
- 1 Tbsp Orange Zest
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- In a large frying pan, heat vegetable oil on medium-high until warmed. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Add red and orange peppers, broccoli and water chestnuts. Cook until broccoli has turned bright green and peppers have softened.
- Mix together garlic, soy sauce, marmalade, orange zest, cornstarch and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Cook until liquid has reduced and coats everything evenly.
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onion, sesame seeds, peanuts, etc. Enjoy!