Oatmeal Apple Pear crisp is one of my fall favorites. I especially love this version because the pears add SO much to this dessert favorite!
Nothing says fall quite like an apple crisp. Growing up in the country, we would always make this favorite and one of my favorite versions is Oatmeal Apple Pear Crisp. Yes it’s different from your regular crisp, but it is so darn good, you’ll be making it this way from here on out!
I grew up in a house that bordered an old apple orchard. There wasn’t much upkeep to the apple trees over the years so most falls we just let the apples drop and feed the deer. However some years we would get a bumper crop of delicious, beautiful apples and end up with more apples than we could give away. Those years we would be making every type of apple dessert we could, just to not let them go to waste. I loved how right in my backyard I could get so much; apples, grapes, plums, rhubarb, all wild or inherited from the owners before us.
Flash forward to living in the city and the farmer’s market has become my solace. A little bit of the country in the inner city. I love buying all the fresh fruits and vegetables there, even if it means lugging it home on the subway. I’d honestly do whatever it takes to get that fresh produce. Hopefully next year I’ll do a CSA, but I still love picking out my veggies from the stands!
This Oatmeal Apple Pear Crisp is awesome. And I might be biased saying that, but you’ll have to trust me. Pears are such an underutilized fruit and the pair (pun intended) so well with apples that it’s hard not to use them in my fall baking. The texture of the pears in this crisp is amazing and it gives a subtle flavor to the dish that really just makes it. This was one dessert that as soon as I was done taking pictures, we ate ALL of it in one sitting.
How do you make your apple crisp? Do you cook with pears? Let me know in the comment section below!
Oatmeal Apple Pear Crisp
- 4 Cooking Apples
- 2 Pears Firm to Touch
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp Tapioca
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Flour
- 3/4 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 Cup Butter chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- Optional: Nuts Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Core and slice pears. Place all fruit in a large bowl. Add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and tapioca and stir to combine. Let sit for 20 min or until tapioca has started to absorb the juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, oats, butter and baking powder. Mix together until small clumps form.
- Grease an 8-inch baking pan and spread apple/pear mixture into the bottom. Sprinkle dough on top of the apples. Add minced nuts to the topping if you'd like.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are bubbling. Serve warm with ice cream. Enjoy!