If you told me five years ago that I would be cooking with mushrooms and enjoying them, I’d laugh in your face. My prior experience with mushrooms was limited to buttery sautéed cremini and rubbery mushrooms on pizza. Neither was an amazing experience. Fast forward to the present and I’ve really begun to appreciate the many varieties of delicious mushrooms and was inspired to make a Mushroom Hazelnut Pappardelle based on a recipe I saw recently in a magazine. My expectation for mushroom dishes is still lower than other meals, so when this one blew me away, it really did amaze me!
I’ve learned that when I like a mushroom dish, it usually uses a blend of mushroom varieties. This is so the overall flavor is complex and enriched. I decided to use a combination of two of my favorite mushroom varieties for this dish, chanterelle and oyster mushrooms. Oyster mushrooms are fairly common and perfect for cooking because they are soft and easy to cook with. Chanterelle’s are a bit harder to find and more expensive, but I lucked out and found some at my local organic food store. When I see them, I grab them on the spot! If only there were morels, those are my absolute favorite mushroom variety but unfortunately they are harder to find in the USA whereas in Europe they are much more common.
I chose to use pappardelle pasta because I wanted a wider pasta to match the size of the mushrooms. You could also use fettuccine, but I wouldn’t go any smaller otherwise the mushrooms would be much bigger than your pasta.
If you’ve seen my instagram stories, you’ve been seeing a lot of my kitten recently. That’s mostly due to the fact that she’s my shadow and follows me everywhere! If I’m cooking, she’s in the kitchen. If i’m taking photos, she’s sleeping under the table. Currently I’m at my computer and the kitten is trying to lay on my keyboard. Cute, but not practical when i want to finish this post before bed! It’s a good thing she’s cute, otherwise we’d be even more annoyed. The cuteness factor offsets most of being annoyed with her.
If you like my recipe, please feel free to leave a comment below! Happy cooking!!
Mushroom Hazelnut Pappardelle
- 9 Oz Pappardelle Pasta
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Hazelnuts
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves Sliced
- 12 Oz Mushroom Mix Chanterelle and Oyster used in photos
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Ground black pepper
- 2 Tsp Fresh Sage Chopped
- 2 Oz Parmesan Cheese Grated
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Chives Chopped
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and reserve 3/4 Cup of cooking liquid.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add hazelnuts and cook for 2-3 minutes or until nuts are fragrant. Remove nuts and set aside.
- Add Olive oil, garlic and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until mushrooms have softened.
- Stir in sage and add pasta. Add the reserved cooking liquid and toss to combine. Top pasta with parmesan and chives. Enjoy!