Have you ever gone out to eat and had a meal that was so amazing that you wanted more? That’s how I felt last year at a blogging conference. For lunch on the first day we had these delicious lamb chops that were indescribable. After some digging, I found the recipe in my notes from the conference and I was soooo excited to make it again. These Marinated Lamb Chops with Mint Pesto were just as good the second time around!
Last year I had the pleasure of attending the Everything Food Conference in Salt Lake City. I had lucked into a VIP ticket and as part of it, we had cooking classes on the first day. This recipe is based off of a recipe I learned from True Aussie Beef and Lamb. While their version was grilled, mine was made in my trusty cast iron (because sadly city apartments don’t usually allow grills). These chops were perfection and I got to eat all of them! For whatever weird reason, Tai doesn’t like lamb. So when I cook it for the blog, it’s all for me 😉
Tips for Preparing Lamb
- Younger lamb will taste less gamey and be more tender
- Older lamb and mutton (sheep) is often better braised or slow cooked
- Frenching the bones is easier than you’d think and looks luxe
- Lamb cooks quickly, for chops about 4 minutes per side at medium-high heat
- If using cryovac lamb, after taking it out of the package pat dry and let breathe for 15 minutes to remove cryovac smell
I’ve been noticing something really funny since moving to California. Californians can’t drive in rain. And I obviously don’t mean that they are physically unable to, but rather they become so freaked out due to weather that their driving becomes terrible haha. This past weekend I was coming home from grocery shopping and is started to rain. Several cars in front of me put on their hazards and pulled to side side of the road. It wasn’t even a downpour. I’m probably very jaded because I come from New England which has some wild weather, but C’mon Californians, pull it together! You won’t hydroplane while going 10 MPH haha.
At least with all of the “crazy” weather here in California we get good food. The produce in California is like no other and that’s something that I absolutely love! I guess i’ll just have to put up with the bad driving part 😉
If you like this recipe for Marinated Lamb Chops with Mint Pesto, make sure to save it or share it on social media. I’d love to see your version, so remember to tag me as well!
Marinated Lamb Chops with Mint Pesto
- 1 Lamb Rack Cut into individual chops
- 3 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 3 Tbsp Mint Leaves Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 Cup Mint Leaves
- 1/4 Cup Shelled Pistachios Roasted
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, honey, mint and chili garlic sauce. Add the chops and marinate 2-24 hrs, refrigerated.
- Combine mint, garlic, and pistachios in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Add in the oil and mix until incorporated and smooth.Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Heat cast iron on medium-high heat. Place chops on skillet and cook until desired doneness. Let rest for 5-10 minutes and then add pesto. Enjoy!