Well hello there! Starting off this week is the second place cookie from last week’s unofficial office cookie vote, my Lemon Sugar Cookies. And though it wasn’t as popular as my Spiced Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, these are one of my favorites and are definitely a recipe that you should try!
Now that the weather is getting warmer (ok kind of getting warmer…we did just get some snow) I wanted to create a cookie that reminds me of warm sunny days. And because we live in the northeast and those warm sunny days don’t come around too often! So sit back and imagine yourself having a cold lemonade and a delicious sugar cookie!
This past weekend Tai’s dad visited and we had a great time! I haven’t spent a lot of time with him, so it was great to visit with him and get to know him a bit better. And I loved how much I learned about British foods (yup, Tai’s dad is from the UK) and how much tea we drank over the weekend. Hopefully we’ll have more guests soon!
Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Butter Softened
- 1/2 Cup Shortening
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Grated Lemon Rind
- 1/2 Tsp Lemon Extract
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 3/4 Cups Flour
- Preheat oven to 300.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and shortening. Cream together until light and fluffy, about 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and lemon rind and mix until fully combined.
- Beat in egg yolks and lemon extract.
- Add flour in small batches until fully combined. Mix until just combined.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and drop on an ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart (they will spread, use parchment paper to decrease the amount that they spread).
- Bake for 15 minutes or until edges have set but haven't browned.
- Remove from heat and let cool on wire rack. Enjoy!