After I had posted my first cookie recipe on the blog, my sister texted me asking to send her cookies. I held off sending cookies, but she kept pestering me! Little sisters are known to have the ability to get their way after enough pestering and I was not immune. So I made these Fudge Dipped Orange Shortbread Cookies for her birthday and mailed them to her.
Of course, I think she knew what was happening because I had to tell her to expect a package and to get it the day it arrived. Later my Mom told me that she was hoarding the cookies and wouldn’t let anyone else touch them. And you know what? I don’t blame her! These cookies were amazing!
Fudge Dipped Orange Shortbread Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Shortening
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2-1/4 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tbsp Grated Orange Peel
- 8 Ounces Chocolate Chips
- 1 Tbsp Shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine butter, shortening and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in egg, grated orange and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix into creamed mixture in small batches.
- Ball up dough and place on a flat floured surface. Roll dough out to a 1/2 inch thickness and use a cookie cutter to cut out the cookies. Place cookies on a baking sheet. Cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Using a double boiler, melt chocolate and shortening together (or microwave the chocolate and shortening until they melt) and spoon onto cookies. I Only covered half the cookie with fudge, but feel free to go all the way! Enjoy!