Since moving cross country I have just been go, go, go! It’s been a nonstop whirlwind of new job and new city. I find myself crashing each day and honestly the thing that’s been keeping me going is a delicious source of caffeine that I’ve been having each morning in my illy coffee. illy has truly been my savior in these past few weeks and when I had some down time the other night I decided to make Flakey Chocolate Coffee Scones with illy coffee to try something new.
Scones are one of my favorite breakfast items. I don’t like extra sugary treats first thing in the morning so having a scone is like the perfect balance of sweet to delicious flaky bread. I’ve been trying my hand with quick bread recipes lately and so far scones have been the clear winner. What else would you be dunking into your coffee?
After several experiments with making scones I’ve found some tips along the way to make them flaky and delicious!
- Freeze your butter then use a cheese grater to get it to size. The colder the butter in the mix, the flakier the end result.
- Mix dough until just combined. Over mixing will activate too much gluten and the scones will be hard and chewy.
- Let the dough rest and chill in the fridge before baking (the same goes for cookies!)
- Brush with milk before baking to get that nice sheen on the top.
Each morning when I have the perfect combination of scones and illy coffee, I know I’m going to have a good day. I can’t say it won’t be busy and hectic, but I know it will definitely be a good one! If you LOVE illy as much as I do or are interested in trying it, check out their website HERE and use the code COFFEE17 to get 20% off your order! I recently started using this french press and I have to say it’s now my go to way to make that morning cup! The mugs are super cute too!
I hope you have a great day! And enjoy your illy coffee!
Flakey Chocolate Coffee Scones
- 2 3/4 Cups Flour
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Cold Butter
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Ground Coffee
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Half and Half
- 1/2 Cup Milk for topping
- 1/2 Cup Sparkling Sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Using a cheese grater, grate the cold butter into the flour mixture. Toss into the flour mixture until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips, eggs, coffee and vanilla extract.
- Mix in half and half. The amount needed will vary, feel free to add more if the dough is too dry.
- Empty dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead slightly to incorporate and drier bits. Form dough into a circle, then press out until it is about an inch thick.
- Slice dough into triangles, then move the triangles onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Let dough rest in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- Brush dough with milk and sparkling sugar right before baking. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden. Enjoy!