Well friends it’s been a long time since I’ve posted and I can’t begin to tell you how thankful I am that it’s January. Most people will think I’m crazy for being happy about January. But when working in Ecommerce January signifies the end of the holiday rush and the beginning of the slow season. After this last Q4 I’m ready for the respite! And obviously I’m starting it off with a lot of delicious recipes, such as this Easy Classic Chicken Piccata.
Chicken Piccata has been on my “to make for the blog” list for a long time but for whatever reason I haven’t made it until now. Well ok…I know the reason actually. It’s because Tai HATES capers. But hey, I made it anyways and he tried it and loved it (minus all the capers he picked off of his chicken and pushed to the side of the plate). Our fridge is full of leftovers now and I’m 100% OK eating all of them for lunch this week.
Life in California has been great recently, although we did experience our first earthquake. It happened at 2AM and we were jolted out of bed. It felt like I had been lying down in the back of a car that started going over speed bumps. When you are woken up out of a dead sleep it takes a while to snap to and figure out what’s actually happening. Thankfully by the time it was over, about 10 seconds, I was wired with adrenaline and ready to take cover! I’ve been told by many of my friends here that that was a “small one” and to wait for “the big one” Great.
And a kitten update! Back in October we got a kitten who after a few days with us, we realized was very sick. Many Drs visits later she’s in perfect health now and is so full of energy she’s bouncing off the walls! It’s crazy that in October she weighed less than one pound and now she weighs 5 and is growing like a weed. I’ve always loved cats, but this is my first time getting a kitten (most of the cats I had growing up just appeared and stayed because we fed them) so I’m in uncharted territory here. It’s amazing how she’s doing something new everyday and how much she’s growing. I’m getting teary over a kitten, I can’t imagine how I’ll feel when It’s my own kid!
I hope you try my recipe for Easy Classic Chicken Piccata. We loved making it and photographing it the other night!
Easy Classic Chicken Piccata
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Cup Flour
- 6 Tbsp Butter
- 6 Tbso Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1/4 Cup Drained Capers
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and slice in half. Season with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Coat pan with 3 Tbsp of olive oil and 2 Tbsp of butter. Place 2 pieces of chicken in the pan at a time and cook on both sides until golden brown. Add another 3 Tbsp of olive oil and 2 Tbsp of butter an repeat the process. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Remove pan from heat. Add Lemon juice, stock and drained capers. Place chicken back into the pan and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 2 Tbsp of butter and stir until sauce is velvety smooth. Serve with pasta and top with fresh parsly. Enjoy!