Dutch Oven Beef and Barley Soup is a great soup to make for winter time! The dutch oven makes it such and easy process!
There’s something so comforting about soup on a cold day. I love how it both fills and warms you up. Not many foods are able to do both. And even now as I’m writing this, I’m craving soup because winter has come to New York City. We haven’t had snow yet but the weather is cold and wet, which is worse in my book because you don’t even have the pretty scenery of snow to enjoy.
I recently made a Dutch Oven Beef and Barley Soup and it was great on these cold, drab and dreary days. And talk about a hearty soup! Tai who usually considers soup an appetizer was pleasantly surprised about how filling this was. Maybe it was because it was a meaty soup that he liked it so much. I’m not sure the reason, but i’ll take it!
Since I bought my Dutch Oven I have fallen in love with using it for EVERYTHING! I lucked into getting a Le Creuset. Lately I’ve been trying to invest in quality cooking equipment and I’ve started with some great staples, such as a dutch oven and a kitchenaid mixer. Who would have thought that a little over 3 years ago I moved to NYC with just a suitcase and only has a small frying pan and a small sauce pot. We’ve come a long way!
What are your favorite cold weather foods? Have you cooked with a dutch oven before? Let me know in the comments section below!
Dutch Oven Beef and Barley Soup
Dutch Oven Beef and Barley Soup is the perfect soup for any cold day!
- 1 Pound Beef Top Round Steak Cubed
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Yellow Onion Minced
- 1/4 Cup Celery Minced
- 16 Oz Beef Broth
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/3 Cup Barley
- 1 Cup Chopped Carrots
- 2-3 Sprigs Fresh Parsley
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2-3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- Place dutch oven on stove top and heat oil on high heat. Add beef and brown on all sides. Once browned, remove from dutch oven and set aside.
- Add onion and celery and cook until softened.
- Add broth, water, barley, carrots and put beef back into the dutch oven.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Tie together fresh herbs with cooking twine. Put in dutch oven. Cover with lid and cook on a medium setting for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Soup is ready to be served when barley and carrots are cooked through. Remove herb packet and enjoy!