I’ve resisted the pumpkin craze thus far and have only posted a few pumpkin flavored recipes before this, but I think I’ve finally gone to the dark side after this one. I’m not your average city girl freaking out over the Starbucks PSL or bulking up on pumpkin scented candles at Michaels. And I honestly have no clue when pumpkin everything became a “thing” but after making this recipe, I get it. It only took making a Creamy Pumpkin Mac and Cheese to finally understand.
Do you like velvety smooth cheesy sauce for your mac and cheese? Now imagine it being pumpkin flavored. YES! This is what I’m talking about!! There is something so simple and amazing about combining pumpkin and cheese. They were made to be melted together and eaten while wearing a thick sweater and leggings on a sunny fall day. Yeah I’m painting a picture here, but it’s honestly what I feel when I eat this mac and cheese.
Unlike other types of mac and cheese, this one is ready in about 30 minutes. Which is perfect because while those last few really nice days of fall are still here, I want to be outside instead of inside cooking. Ironic right, considering how I’m a food blogger. But when where you live doesn’t see the sun from November through March, you soak up all the vitamin D that you can.
So get ready, if it hasn’t hit already, for all things pumpkin. And just remember, we have at least another 2 months of it! But when it tastes this good, who can complain?
Creamy Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- 1 16 Oz Package Macaroni or Shells
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2-3 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tsp Ground Mustard
- 1/4 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 1 1/2 Cups Pumpkin Puree
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Optional Toppings:
- Shredded Cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add pasta. Season water generously with salt. Cook until al dente, drain and then set aside.
- In a large sauce pot, create a roux with the flour and butter. Cook until golden brown . Pour milk into pan and whisk together with roux until there are no lumps.
- Season with salt, pepper, mustard, paprika and garlic.
- Stir in pumpkin puree.
- Mix in cheese.
- Cook until cheese has melted and sauce has thickened. Combine with pasta and enjoy!