**This post is sponsored by Fairway Market. All thoughts and opinions are my own**
One of the things I struggle with every year is balancing the overload of sugary sweets that I eat. Of course I love the cookies, the gingerbread houses, the candy, I really do love all of it! But that’s the problem and I get to the point where I feel overloaded on sugar. This year I wanted to find a dessert recipe that, while sweet, didn’t put me into a diabetic coma. I visited Fairway Market and inspiration hit; make Cranberry Poached Pears, a dessert that’s sweet but still erring on the healthier side. Set and match!
I went to the Fairway Market in Redhook, Brooklyn to get inspiration and to find ingredients for this recipe. Fairway Market is one of my favorite places to shop because the quality of their produce is amazing. They also focus on bringing in specialty items, so finding whole cinnamon sticks or a whole vanilla bean isn’t a problem. With their variety and quality of inventory I was able to find everything I needed for this recipe.
Making this recipe was a breeze. The seasonings made my whole apartment smell wonderful and it tasted even better. This is a great recipe to have in your repertoire because not only is it easy, but it’s elegant too. If you made this for guests, not only will they be excited by how different the dish is but by how elegant it appears on the plate too. It’s easily one of the most festive looking dishes I’ve made.
I also really like how this dessert is inherently both Gluten Free and Diabetic friendly (with the minor substitution of switching out sugar for either more honey or a sugar substitute). Without knowing your guests’ dietary needs, planning ahead for a party can be tricky. So a recipe like this that is versatile is a must have, especially during the holidays. I know I will definitely be making this for Tai’s father and brother who are both diabetic, and I’m sure they will love it!
If you are in the greater New York City area I urge you to find a Fairway Market and do your holiday shopping there. I can almost guarantee that they’ll have what you are looking for because of the variety of products they sell. I truly loved shopping there for my holiday meals.
What are some of your favorite holiday desserts? If you are GF or diabetic, what are some of yours? Let me know in the comments section below!
Cranberry Poached Pears
- 4 Pears
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 4 Tbsp Sugar
- Zest One Orange
- Zest One Lemon
- 2 Sticks Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Allspice
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 1 Bag Fruit Flavored Tea
- 2 Cups Cranberries
- Peel pears and place into a large pot so that they fit snugly. Fill pot with water until it just submerges the pears.
- Mix in honey, sugar, orange zest, lemon zest, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, and allspice. Split the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds out, placing them and the bean in the liquid.
- Bring pot to a boil and quickly reduce to a simmer. Add the teabag into the pot and let simmer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove teabag and stir pot. Let simmer for another 10-15 minutes or until pears are easily pierced with a fork.
- Add cranberries and cook until they burst and soften.
- Remove from heat and transfer content to a large bowl. Let cool and serve. Pears will last up to 3 days. Enjoy!