I’ve begun to realize that the winters here in northern California are very unique. It’s cold and rainy with interspersed days of sunlight and warmth. It’s a very unique microclimate and I’m still trying to adjust. My normal winter time foods aren’t common go to’s here but one food will always be perfect on a rainy day: soup. I made a Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Pie Crust Croutons for such an occasion and it’s perfect to eat when the weather outside is less than perfect.
I love chicken pot pie, but it’s a heavy and often time intensive meal. This soup version is a lot quicker and easier, but still with a great taste! The thing I love the most about this recipe are the pie crust croutons. We all know the pie crust is the best part and leaving it out of this recipe would have been a shame. I used frozen pie crust as a way to save some time, but if you want to whip up a quick pie dough, go for it! Want to add some seasonings to the top? Get it done!
I made this in my trusty dutch oven which is my favorite piece of cookware. If you don’t have one, seriously consider getting one! I use Le Creuset but there are more budget friendly alternatives such as Staub. Most Marshall’s and TJ Maxx stores carry dutch ovens especially during the holiday season at a discounted price. Depending on the buyer at the store you can even find some great Le Creuset deals or even snag a Le Creuset at an outlet store.
I went with the basic chicken pot pie ingredients but everyone has their own version. Feel free to mix up the vegetables as you see fit and let me know on pinterest/in the comments section below. I’d love to see your version of this recipe!
So if the weather’s sucky near you, make a batch of soup and it will change your day! Soup is the perfect remedy for colds, snowy days and just the general blah of winter. So go and get on it and make some soup!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Pie Crust Croutons
- 1 pound Chicken Breasts Cubed
- Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 8 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Cream
- 1/2 Cup Celery Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Carrots Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Peas
- 1 Frozen Pie Crust
- 1 Egg
- Finishing Salt
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown in a large dutch oven with olive oil. Remove chicken once all sides are browned.
- Remove chicken from pan. Add flour to create a roux. Cook until light brown, stirring continuously.
- Mix in chicken stock and cream. Add celery, carrots and peas. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, prepare pie crust. Cut into small squares, brush with egg wash and top with finishing salt. Bake as per directions for frozen crust.
- When ready to eat, top soup with pie crust croutons and enjoy!