I recently saw an article in Food Network Magazine about the Cacio E Pepe craze that is currently underway. Not to miss out on the latest food trend, I was excited to try my own twist on a classic. I made a Cacio and Pepe Baked Gnocchi and am so happy with the delicious results!
I LOVE making gnocchi, both from scratch and even using some store bought varieties. Actually I really do make gnocchi a lot, I made Gnocchi with Sausage and Cream Sauce recently. Gnocchi is one of the easiest pasta varieties to make, it takes minimal time and effort compared to regular pasta (and far less kneading!). What I really liked about this Cacio and Pepe Baked Gnocchi is that it is so simple to make. There’s no heavy sauces or seasoning. It’s just gnocchi at its best with delicious cheese and freshly cracked pepper.
I used a 3 cheese blend for this version of Cacio and Pepe Baked Gnocchi. Most cacio e pepe recipes just call for parmesan, but I chose to use three for a more balanced and rounded out flavor. And let’s be honest, who doesn’t like melty, stretchy cheese? Combine that with pillowy soft gnocchi and now we are in business! I like baking pasta dishes to get the cheese to be gooey and soft in the center of the dish and to have that crunchy outer later.
I like this dish because it’s quick, easy and filling, which is what you want when you are running late or in need of feeding some hungry mouths quickly. Especially if you use premade gnocchi, this dish is easy as can be! It’s amazing what simple ingredients can do!
Cacio and Pepe Baked Gnocchi
- 12 Oz Gnocchi
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Pecorino Romano
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Asiago
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Parmesan
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 1/2 Tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook gnocchi in water until they float to the surface. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and add black pepper. Add gnocchi to the skillet and toss to coat.
- Mix cheese together and toss gnocchi with 3/4 cup of cheese (reserve remaining 1/4 cup of cheese).
- Put gnocchi in a small baking dish. Top gnocchi with remaining cheese. Heat broiler on high and bake gnocchi for several minutes or until top has melted and has begun to brown.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!