This past weekend I made a Butternut Squash Pasta with Sausage and it was delicious! It satisfied both Tai’s sweet tooth and love of having a filling meal. I know this is meant as a fall dish, but I was craving it and couldn’t resist when I saw butternut squash on sale at the grocery store.
Ok it feels like spring…but it isn’t spring quite yet. And there isn’t much for green produce at the farmer’s market, but there’s still plenty of squash! Squash may seem like a fall meal, but it can still be bought local and fresh all winter. And besides, it tastes too darn good to keep it reserved for just one season!
I’ve never made a sauce from squash but it was surprisingly easy and tasted exquisite. I love how it’s both sweet and savory and the color is fantastic! Doesn’t food seem tastier when it looks beautiful?
What’s your favorite seasonal dish that you like to make “out of season?” Now if only we could get a PSL any time we want, then it’d be perfect!
Butternut Squash Pasta with Sausage
- 1/2 Pound Ground Italian Sausage Meat
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 12 Oz Rigatoni Pasta
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamon
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375. Split squash in half, remove seeds and place skin side up on a baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Remove and let cool.
- Brown sausage meat and break into large chunks. Drain any fat and set aside.
- Cook pasta until al dente, drain, toss with oil and set aside.
- Scoop out squash into a large sauce pot. Add 1 cup of water and milk. Let simmer. Add in cinnamon, cardamon, brown sugar and salt. Stir until mixed through.
- Combine pasta, sausage and sauce in a large pan. Mix until evenly coated, then enjoy!