Bananas have been one of my favorite foods my whole life. I even used to eat one for breakfast everyday before school (I was definitely a creature of habit and went through many breakfast food phases that would last for months at a time). So when I mistakenly got too many bananas when I went grocery shopping, I knew I had to make a stellar dessert with them to make up for getting way too many. Thus Bananas Foster Brown Sugar Cupcakes were made!
When I was in college my friends and I would go to late night dinner at our dining hall. Yes it meant eating dinner at 10PM, but remember we were in college so we slept in until 11AM and scheduled all afternoon classes. Now that I’m a working adult, I really miss that lax schedule! Each night had a theme such as pizza Thursdays, taco Tuesdays, etc and there would also be special dessert nights. My favorite by far was the bananas foster night.
Those nights made us poor college students feel fancy. We had bananas foster made to order, flambé and all. It was delicious and I couldn’t help think of how awesome it made me feel to have such a cool dessert when I was making these cupcakes today. It also REALLY made me miss college. Even though dining hall food sucked, there was always a favorite dish and this one was mine!
These cupcakes are super delicious. I brought them into work and they were devoured instantly. I know I talk about bringing food into work a lot, but my coworkers are my test critics. I know if they don’t like it, it’s not a good recipe. But thankfully this one passed the test!
If you like cupcakes, be sure to check out some of the other recipes on my blog like these:
Coconut Cream Chocolate Cupcakes
Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
Bananas Foster Brown Sugar Cupcakes
- 3/4 Cup Butter Softened
- 3/4 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/3 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Frosting and Topping:
- 2 Bananas Sliced
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbp Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 5 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 2-3 Tbsp Milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream together butter and brown sugar. Mix in eggs one at a time.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add dry mixture to the wet in small batches. Continue until fully combined.
- Stir in milk and vanilla extract.
- Spoon into lined cupcake pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- For frosting and topping, begin by adding bananas, butter and brown sugar to a medium frying pan. Cook over medium heat until bananas have softened and sugar has caramelized. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Beat together butter and powdered sugar. Beat in 3/4 of the sliced bananas (the remaining slices will be for the topper on the cupcake). Mix in vanilla and milk. Frosting should be light and fluffy. Feel free to add more milk if the mixture is too thick.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and garnish with bananas. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply