Hey foodies! I’m just getting back from the Everything Food Conference in Salt Lake City, so forgive me if my post is a bit subpar. Jetlag is a thing, especially when you have to wake up at 4:30AM for a flight. Ughhhhhh. But you know what wasn’t subpar? The conference! It was amazing! I got to meet so many other food bloggers, connect with some great brand and I learned SO much! Stay tuned because I have some AHHHHHMAZING ideas for stuff to come and I can’t wait to start on all of my new projects.
But back to the point of my blog: the FOOD! Right before I left I made some Bacon Wrapped “Spicy and Sweet” Asparagus. Asparagus is in season here and they’ve begun to carry some gorgeous local produce at my grocery store so I just had to do something special with it. This is the perfect appetizer for your picnics, your cookouts, your bbqs, or basically any gathering with hungry people (so everything right?). It’s super quick to make and has a great spicy/sweet flavour.
I made this in my oven for an easier clean up. I hate cooking bacon on the stovetop because the grease gets everywhere. But in the oven it tends to burn off and by wrapping the baking sheet in foil, I have very minimal cleanup! If you are outside and trying to cook this recipe, I’m sure it can be adapted to a griddle or grill. And if you try that method of cooking, let me know! Because I live in Brooklyn….In a tiny apartment….where I can’t grill 🙁
Enjoy the bacon folks, it was divine!
Bacon Wrapped "Spicy and Sweet" Asparagus
- 1 Bunch Asparagus
- 1 Pound Bacon
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 415.
- Trim asparagus by cutting an inch off of the bottom of each stalk.
- Wrap bacon around each stalk of asparagus. Depending on the length you may only use 1/2 of each piece of bacon per an asparagus.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lay asparagus on sheet 1/2 an inch apart.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, chili powder and pepper. Sprinkle on top of bacon, just enough to coat.
- Put in oven and cook for 7 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove from pan and put onto a paper towel to remove excess grease. Serve and enjoy!