Artichokes are one of my favorite vegetables. Yeah, I just shared some love for a vegetable, the 7 year old me would not believe it. But artichokes are not like the broccoli my parents would tell me to eat when I was younger. They are buttery and delicious, and they have the added bonus of being fun to eat as you peel them apart and dip each leaf into some seasoned mayo or butter. I made an updated version of an artichoke recipe I made a few years ago and it came out better than ever. I’m very excited to share my Artichoke with Herbed Mayonnaise with you!
When I first started making artichokes, I experimented with the best ways to make them. At home we would boil them, but afterwards they’d retain a lot of the water and would need to rest a bit while it would drain out. I’ve recently begun steaming them with a handy steamer insert for my pot set. And it is SO much better. They cook just as quickly and don’t get waterlogged like in other methods. I’m sold!
This recipe also calls for making mayonnaise from scratch which, admittedly is more work than using the premade variety. But the taste is worth it. Don’t get me wrong, if you don’t want to be whisking and emulsifying eggs, using the premade version and adding the herbs is totally fine too. But don’t say I didn’t warn you that the taste will be better by making your mayonnaise from scratch.
Once the artichokes are done steaming, I like to squeeze fresh lemon juice on them. This helps to make the flavor pop and reduce browning. And hey, lemon +veggies is always a great flavor combo!!
Enjoy making these Artichoke with Herbed Mayonnaise! I hope you enjoy them. Let me know in the comments section below if you have any questions!
Artichoke with Herbed Mayonnaise
- 4 Artichokes
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 4 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 Cup Tarragon or Thyme
- Begin by trimming the outer leaves of the artichokes with kitchen scissors and removing the tops. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the outer skin of the stem and underside of the artichoke.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and place the artichokes in a steamer insert. Cook for 20 minutes or until softened.
- While the artichokes are steaming, make the mayonnaise. Whisk together the egg yolks, mustard, and lemon juice. Add in the vegetable oil be drizzling it into the mixture slowly while quickly whisking. Whisk thoroughly until the mixture emulsifies and begins to thicken. Thin with water as needed and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add 1/4 cup of fresh herbs to season.
- When the artichokes are finished steaming, cut in half and remove the choke with a spoon.
- Your artichokes are now ready to serve! Eat by peeling off each leaf, dipping into the mayo and removing the artichoke meat with your teeth. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply