Shhh….don’t tell my Mom but I created a new apple pie recipe, and Apple Crumble Pie. It goes against every slice of pie I had while growing up, but oh man, it was good!
The crumb topping was sensational, and something that I have never tried before. It’s like coffee cake and apple pie had a baby just in time for thanksgiving. Sorry Mom, this might be my new tradition 😉
Apple Crumble Pie
- Pie Filling:
- 6 Cups Sliced Apples
- 2 Tbsp Tapioca
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 1/4 Cups Flour
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/3 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 4-5 Tbsp Cold Water
- Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- For Filling:
- Peel and slice apples. Combine with tapioca, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir so that the mixture evenly covers the apples. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until pieces are pea sized.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of water over the flour mixture and toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Continue until all of the flour mixture is moistened and form dough into a ball
- On a lightly floured surface flatten dough. Roll from center to edges to form a circle.
- Unroll pastry into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Trim pastry and fold under extra pastry to form lip for crust.
- Crumb Topping:
- Stir together flour and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until it resembles loose crumbs.
- Stir in walnuts
- Spoon pie filling into pie plate then spoon crumb topping on and cover apples evenly. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes with foil covering the edges. Remove foil, then bake for another 20 minutes. Let cool on wire rack, then serve.