I’ll admit that I struggled with this recipe for a long time. I had never made a meringue before and soon learned how tricky they are to make. After 4 really horrible batches of cookies, I finally found a formula and some good tips for making Nutella Stuffed Meringues.
First tip, make sure everything is clean! For my perfect attempt I used a freshly cleaned stainless steel mixing bowl, while my other attempts used plastic. I noticed a big difference in how fast peaks form while using the stainless steel vs the plastic. Any drop of fat in the mixture, from either the yolk or leftover food, could spoil your meringue.
The original idea was to use a Hershey kiss for the center, but while it was easier than making my own filling, a hard interior did not pair well with the delicate crispy outside of the meringue. Tai and I would bite into the meringues only to have the meringue fall off but the Hershey kiss remain intact! Nutella drops made a huge difference and made for a much better consistency for the filling.
Like I said before, I had to make this FOUR times. So don’t give up if yours doesn’t come out as desired on the first go. Meringues are highly technical, which is why they are an elimination challenge every season on Masterchef. They just take some practice 🙂
Nutella Stuffed Meringues
Nutella Stuffed Meringues are a delicious variation of a classic. Enjoy the surprising Nutella center and crisp meringues exterior!
- 3 Large Egg Whites
- 1/4 Tsp Cream of Tartar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Nutella
- On a baking sheet covered in parchment paper, spoon quarter sized drops of Nutella. Make 45-50.
- Place baking sheet in freezer and let cool for 25-30 minutes.
- Place egg whites in a small bowl (room temperature eggs work best) and beat until foamy. Sprinkle with cream of tartar and salt and beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Remove Nutella drops from freezer. Take each individual Nutella drop and coat it with meringue (I put the Nutella in the bowl and swirled it with a spoon for desired coverage). Place meringue on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 250 for 35 minutes or until firm to touch. Turn oven off, but leave meringues inside with the oven door open for several hours or until completely dry.
- When completely dry, enjoy!