***ShopRite is my sponsor for this post. Full disclosure: they provided me with free products and a ShopRite Gift Card for my involvement in the NYCWFF Virtual Food Tour, but ALL photos and opinions expressed are my own***
This is the second stop on the ShopRite #NYCWFF Virtual Food Tour! All week long, different bloggers are recreating recipes that will be featured at the New York City Wine and Food Festival Grand Tasting Presented by ShopRite. The recipe I’ll be recreating today is a Zucchini Walnut Bread with Vanilla Labne Spread.
I LOVE zucchini bread. It’s hands down one of my favorites to make in the summer/fall. I still can’t get over how adding a vegetable to a sweet bread makes one of the most delicious dessert breads. My mind still cannot compute how those two go together but it SOOOOO works! It probably isn’t any healthier but just much much more delicious.
What really makes this Zucchini Walnut Bread with Vanilla Labne Spread unique is the Labne Spread. Labne is a Middle Eastern specialty and this version is made by straining yogurt. It has a similar consistency of cream cheese but the taste is SO unique. It’s tangy and provides the perfect balance for a sweet bread.
Making the Labne was very easy too. I took Chobani Yogurt and strained it overnight in a cheesecloth in my fridge. From there I put it in my mixer on a high setting until it became light and fluffy. OMG SO GOOD! I will definitely be using this as an alternative for cream cheese in the future.
Once again I’d like to thank ShopRite for sponsoring this post and the Virtual Food Tour.
Check out Kimchi Mom‘s blog tomorrow for the next recipe on the ShopRite #NYCWFF Virtual Food Tour – Fresh Cilantro Jalapeno Marinated Steak. Celebrate the spirit of the festival at home, and find everything you need at your local ShopRite.
- For the vanilla labne spread:
- 32 oz. vanilla Chobani Greek yogurt
- 3 ft. cheesecloth
- For the zucchini walnut bread:
- ½ cup Chobani Greek yogurt, whole milk plain
- 2 cups zucchini, finely grated
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- ¼ cup butter, unsalted, melted
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Vanilla Labne Frosting:
- Rinse cheesecloth under hot water and squeeze out excess liquid. Unwrap the cheesecloth to a single layer and re-fold it to make a square with 4 layers and lay the square over a medium sized bowl evenly. Place the Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt in the center of the cheesecloth. Pull the corners of the square together and hang the ball of yogurt over the bowl in a fridge for 24 hours to make vanilla Labne.
- Remove the vanilla Labne from the cheesecloth and place into a stand mixer with the beater attachment. Beat on high until the Labne becomes creamy and resembles the texture of frosting.
- For the bread:
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat two nonstick 4 ½ by 8 ½ inch loaf pans with nonstick spray.
- Combine Chobani, zucchini, sugars, oil, butter, extract and eggs in a large bowl and mix until fully incorporated.
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix just to combine, being cautious not to overwork the dough.
- Divide batter between loaf pans. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the middle of each loaf comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from oven and invert onto a wire rack. Serve warm with vanilla Labne spread.