Well my polish side got the better of me this weekend when I went grocery shopping. I saw kielbasa on special and I just had to have it. Growing up we would always pan or oven roast our kielbasa and eat it plain, but this time I wanted to jazz it up a bit. Cue spaghetti squash that has been sitting on my counter for 2 weeks. Combined they made a perfect meal that I like to call Spicy Kielbasa and Spaghetti Squash.
Growing up polish meant growing up a little jaded. Kielbasa was THE BEST type of sausage, no matter what anyone else said. Pierogis? Obviously the best type of dumpling. Ever try a cheese filled one? And cabbage! ….Well ok, I will admit that cabbage is an acquired taste and not all cabbage recipes are great (looking at you cabbage soup). But for a polish family in New Hampshire, Kielbasa was the absolute best!
Granted we never messed around with our kielbasa so I hope that creating this recipe i’m not upsetting any of the devout polacks. But it does tastes amazing with spaghetti squash and a tomato sauce. Just saying.
- 1 Large Spaghetti Squash
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Kielbasa
- 1 24Oz Jar Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 3 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 Tsp Oregano
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Slice spaghetti squash in half longways. Remove and discard seeds. Brush with vegetable oil and place cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Cook for 35-45 minutes or until soft.
- Heat kielbasa on a skillet at a medium heat. Cook until outside has browned and it is cooked through. Remove from pan and slice thinly.
- Use a fork to scrape out spaghetti squash into a large bowl. The squash should come apart easily and into long strings. Mix in kielbasa and tomato sauce.
- Stir in seasonings, then enjoy!