We are back from vacation 🙁 Back to reality and back to a near empty kitchen. I scrounged up what we had left in our pantry and ran to the store to grab chicken. And what we got was a superb Southwest Chicken Stir Fry! It was sooo good and has the added bonus of being healthy too!
Tai doesn’t usually like spicy foods but this was one dish he could get behind. The rice helps to mellow out the spice, but there is still a nice heat to it. Next time I might experiment with some smoked spices or salt to add another layer of taste, but hey, for the first meal after getting back from vacation, this ain’t too shabby 😉
Our vacation at Disney was amazing! It was so great to see my family and get to go on all of the awesome rides there. But my favorite part was the food. We did not have a bad meal there. We purchased the Disney Dining Plan (if you go, this is a MUST, you’ll save so much money and eat stress free) and everything from the pastrami sandwich at lunch to the luau dinner to the braai meats at the South African restaurant were phenomenal! I’ll do a post with some photos from our trip soon, but for now I have to get back to the real world. Ugh!
- 1 Pound Chicken Breast, Sliced
- 1 Large Onion, Sliced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
- ¾ Cup Black Beans
- ¾ Cup Yellow Corn
- ¼ Cup Chopped Chiles
- 4-6 Cups of Cooked Rice
- 2 Tsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ Tsp Paprika
- ½ Tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- In a large frying pan cook green and red peppers and onion in vegetable oil until onion becomes translucent.
- Clear the center of the pan and push vegetables to the outer rim. Put sliced chicken in center of the pan and cook through.
- Add black beans, corn and chiles. Let simmer. Season with chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes and stir until mixed through.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice. Enjoy!