Salted Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Have you ever made a recipe over and over again until it becomes YOUR recipe? The recipe that you are known for and that everyone craves? Well my Salted Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies have become just that. I had wanted to create a stellar chocolate chip cookie and began experimenting with different techniques, and I think I’ve hit the mother load. And if you don’t believe me, please ask any of my friends/family/coworkers, they have all tasted and experienced theses awesome cookies!
Why Brown Butter?
Brown butter is THE best kind of butter. Why? Because it has a very distinct nutty and full bodied taste. I really like using it in baking because it makes my baked goods taste so much richer. And it’s easy enough to make at home too. All you need is unsalted butter and a pan. Let the butter melt over medium-high heat and let it sit undisturbed. It will foam as the water is released but soon the milk solids will sink to the bottom of the pan where they will brown. You’ll know when it’s ready because it will have a nutty aroma and the bottom of the pan will begin to turn brown. At that point remove the pan from the heat, scrape the bottom of the pan to get all of its nutty goodness and pour into a heat resistant container.
You can keep brown butter in the fridge for later use or even freeze it. I like using in on pasta as a sauce or topping vegetables with it. Honestly, wherever you use butter you can substitute with this and have a whole new flavor experience!
So from now on whenever we have a work function or it’s someone’s birthday, I just know that I will be asked to make these. They are so So SO good that I will definitely make them without any hesitation!
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1¼ Cups Brown Sugar
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2½ Flour
- 1½ Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a medium frying pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. To brown butter, let cook in pan undisturbed until light brown flecks begin appearing on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat, scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the brown bits and pour into a container. Let cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine brown butter, brown sugar, and regular sugar. Mix until all lumps are gone and it is completely combined.
- Mix in eggs one at a time until fully incorporated. Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour salt and baking soda. In small batches, mix the dry ingredients into the wet until completely combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon cookies onto baking sheet. Each cookie should be 2-3 tablespoons worth of dough and shaped into a ball. Sprinkle sea salt on top of each cookie and bake for 10-14 minutes or until the edges have browned.
- Remove from oven, let cool and then enjoy!