When life hands you grapes, make…..pie? Wait, don’t stop reading! I know it sounds like an odd pie filling but it is delicious. It’s somewhere between grape juice, grape jam and wine! It’s beyond delicious! seriously try this Ruby Red Grape Pie.
I got the recipe from a coworker who raved about it! I threw in some of my own twists and modified the recipe to be a little less loose. My first attempt was a little too watery for my taste, but some more time cooking the grapes and additional cornstarch fixes that! Who would have thought that regular ‘ol red grapes could create something so unique!
I’m also very excited because in a week I am going to New Orleans with two of my best friends from college! It’s been years since we’ve all been together and we are soooo excited to visit New Orleans because of all of the food! I’ve heard great things about grilled oysters, beignets, jambalaya, etouffee, and all of the great creole food. And As corny and touristy as it sounds, I really want to do a swamp tour because who knows when I’ll ever be back to see the bayou! Ahhh May is going to be a great month packed full of traveling and I can’t wait!
- 4 Cups Halved Seedless Red Grapes
- ⅔ Cup Sugar
- ½ Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Grated Lemon Peel
- Pastry for a double crust (Feel free to make your own or use store bought!)
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- In a saucepan combine the grapes, sugar and cinnamon. Mix together and let sit for 25-20 mins.
- As grapes are sitting, this is a great time to make your pastry!
- Combine cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon peel and stir into the grape mixture.
- Bring to a boil and let cook for 2-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Grape mixture will thicken.
- Line a pie plate with pastry for the bottom crust and pour grape mixture into pie dish. Dot with butter and cover with remaining pastry.
- Trim and seal crust, cut vents on top and loosely cover edges with foil.
- Bake at 425 for 20 minutes then reduce the heat to 350, remove foil and bake for 35-40 minutes more.
- Remove and let cool completely and enjoy!