Nothing says fall like a Pumpkin Spice Roll. And nothing says delicious quite like layers of pumpkin and soft cream cheese filling. Just saying.
This dessert is one of our traditional Thanksgiving desserts. We make it every year and it is a crowd pleaser. It’s also one of the first leftovers to go because we usually eat it for breakfast after Thanksgiving. Yeah, probably not the healthiest start to the day, but it’s one heck of a delicious one!
There is one big difference in this recipe from many other pumpkin roll recipes. Most pumpkin roll recipes call for the cake to be rolled in a towel covered in powdered sugar. Yeah, that’s a little gross. No matter how clean that towel is, I’m a little OCD and don’t want any germs or smells near my food. BUT the solution it super simple: rolling the cake up with parchment paper is easier and just as effective. YASSS!
So if you want a decadent pumpkin filled dessert, this is the one for you! Don’t let all the steps to the recipe deter you, it’s really quite easy and it’s beyond delicious!
- ¾ Cup of Flour
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp Ginger
- ¼ Tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ Tsp Cloves
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Sugar
- ⅔ Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 8 Oz Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 6 Tbsp Butter, Softened
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Powdered sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices, into a medium bowl. Mix together until just combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree and vanilla. Stir together until just combined, then fold in dry mixture.
- Prepare a 15X10 inch jelly roll pan by lining it with parchment paper. Pour pumpkin batter into pan and spread evenly. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched.
- Remove the cake from the pan but don't let cool. Carefully roll the cake (with the parchment paper still attached) and let cool completely while rolled up.
- While cake is cooling, make the cream cheese filling by creaming together the cream cheese, sugar, butter and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Once cake is completely cooled, slowly unwrap the cake. Spread the cream cheese filling evenly on the inside of the roll, then roll back up (sans parchment paper). Let chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Dust with powdered sugar, then serve. Enjoy!