There is no better combination than potatoes and cheese. Like seriously, it’s the best. That’s why sites like Buzzfeed have listicle after listicle of cheese recipes. Because they are good, and dangerously so.
I recently read an article that said that cheese has the same addictive properties as some drugs, and I can believe it. Who has ever had just ONE bite of cheese? Or just ONE dip into a cheesy spread? Or just ONE mouthfull of any cheese flavored product? NOBODY.
(Here is the article in case you don’t believe me: LA TIMES ARTICLE
This dish had Tai’s name all over it. He’s a meat and potatoes and cheese type of guy. And me? Well I can’t say no to cheese either 😉
Potatoes Au Gratin
Potatoes Au Gratin is the classic side, you'll always love!
- 4 russet Potatoes
- 1 Onion
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400
- Slice potatoes Thinly. Slice onions into rings.
- Grease a casserole dish, then line bottom with potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Add a layer of onion rings, the season with salt, pepper and thyme. Repeat layers until dish is full.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, Mix in flour to create a roux, and cook until it has a nutty smell. Stir constantly.
- Stir in milk and cook until it thickens. Stir in cheese and continue until melted.
- Pour cheese over the potatoes. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and cook for 1 1/2 hours or until potatoes are cooked through. Enjoy!