It’s 2016 now!!!! Did anyone else make New Year’s resolutions? Mine is to get healthy, which encompasses a wide range of things which I hope to accomplish such as: losing weight, reducing my back pain, reducing my joint pain, cooking more, and to be happier. So what better way to kick off the new year than to start with an awesome salad!
I’m not the biggest fan of greens (they taste super bitter to me) so when I create salads I like to add sweeter ingredients, such as fruits. For this salad, I used fruits that are more fall/winter types. I think it’s important to think about the seasonality of food, which especially comes into play when you are buying local. I found some great kale at Whole Foods and fennel from Trader Joe’s. Top it off with some parmesan cheese from my local deli and an awesome salad is born!
Tai is turning 30 this June and although he’s not too keen on the name I proposed a “30 before 30” challenge where each of us loses thirty pounds before his 30th. think we can do it? I know the baking sweets will eventually make its way back to the blog, but from now on all sweets will be donated to hungry coworkers and will be take OUT of our apartment after it photographed! I’m ready for this, here’s to 2016!
- 4 Cups of Kale
- ½ Cup Chopped Pear
- ½ Cup Chopped Fennel
- ¼ Cup Pomegranate Seeds
- ¼ Cup Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ Cup Balsamic Dressing (or more, that's up to you!)
- Tear apart kale leaves and discard the stems. Put in a large bowl.
- Dice pear, dice fennel and add both to the kale.
- Separate pomegranate seeds from pulp and add seeds to the salad.
- Shave parmesan cheese and add to the salad mix.
- Drizzle balsamic over salad and toss until fully mixed. Enjoy!