Thanksgiving has passed and that means the big one is coming…CHRISTMAS! And before you even have to ask, yes I am that person who thinks about Christmas starting in the summer. I mean I refuse to buy anything for Christmas then but there’s no harm in doing some brainstorming. I’ve been planning what to make for the Christmas season since it was still hot and summer here too. The first recipe on my list is a delicious Peppermint Fudge Doughnuts.
I’ve been so set on making doughnuts recently that Tai even bought me a doughnut pan for my birthday. Yes I know that the best doughnuts are fried, but I am a klutz and I need to slowly build up to using oil (I am very accident prone when it comes to burning myself haha). These doughnuts are a delicious fudgy cake type doughnut. It’s the perfect kind for dipping into your hot chocolate or coffee; it won’t dissolve but soak up all of that goodness.
And of course Tai was over the moon that I made doughnuts, they are one of his absolute favorites. He brought them into work the next day and all of his coworkers were asking which bakery they came from! I couldn’t believe it, I was so happy and proud that they thought so highly of my baking.
So my Christmas tree is set up, some presents are under the tree, (and even wrapped!) and I am SO ready for the holiday season to fully start! We can’t wait to go home to New England and see all of our loved ones. And NYC, is at it’s absolute best during the holiday season. What are your plans for the holidays? What are your favorite desserts to make? Let me know in the comments section below!
Peppermint Fudge Doughnuts
Peppermint Fudge Doughnuts are the perfect winter treat! Enjoy winter's best tasting combo: chocolate fudge and peppermint!
- 2/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 3/4 Cup Flour
- 1 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 2 Tsp Peppermint Extract
- 2 Tsp White Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Crushed Peppermint Candy
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cocoa powder, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine eggs, milk, peppermint extract, vinegar, and vegetable oil.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry in small batches until completely mixed.
- Grease the wells of 2 standard doughnut pans. Spoon batter into pans until wells are 3/4 full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cooked through. Let doughnuts cool completely, preferably in pan.
- To prepare the icing, melt chocolate in microwave or on double boiler. Mix in coconut oil. Dip doughnuts into chocolate then place on a cooling rack. Top with crushed peppermint candy. Let chocolate harden, then enjoy!