The middle of the week just hits you. It’s all like WHAM! You suddenly have a lot to do and all of it is usually due on Friday. Great. BUT one trick I’ve learned to help manage the stress of midweek is to make an easy supper. I’m talking one pan; quick and fast. I love how easily these dinners come together and yet they still taste SO good.
Last night I made a One-Pan Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese. It basically combines two of Tai’s favorite meals (mac and cheese and broccoli cheddar soup) into one glorious dish. It has that gooey cheesy irresistible mac and cheese texture with the creamy deliciousness of broccoli cheddar soup. WIN!
This meal also made a lot of food, so we portioned some out and froze it for easy lunches or dinners. Lately we’ve been trying to bring lunch as much as possible to cut down on expenses and with meals like this I don’t even miss take out food!
For the first time in about a month I was able to go to the farmer’s market! Needless to say I went a little overboard with buying fresh local produce this week, but hey, it was long overdue. But in my true klutzy fashion, I bought strawberries and lest them on my counter for two days. And since these were organic, local berries they were much more delicate than the varieties found in most grocery stores. So today I come home to find that they exploded in their container and were dripping all over my floor! It looked like a crime scene with the strawberry juice splattered everywhere! Needless to say next time we will eat these the same day we buy them haha.
- ½ Pound Macaroni Pasta
- 1 Cup Cream
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Tsp Ground Mustard
- 1 Tsp Ground Thyme
- 2 Cups Broccoli
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 4 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- In a large pan, combine pasta, cream, water, mustard, thyme and broccoli. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 -7 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
- Add broccoli and cook until it turns bright green. Add flour and stir until mixed through.
- Add shredded cheese and stir until it has melted completely. Let simmer and allow sauce to thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper, then serve. Enjoy!