It’s 5 o’clock somewhere, right? Well at least with my Margarita Cupcakes, you won’t have to wait until happy hour to indulge yourself. They taste just like a margarita and OMG are they good!
When I lived in South Africa, the favorite expat dinner spot in Cape Town was of all places a Mexican restaurant. Go figure. I guess we were homesick for our favorite food and so we spent every birthday, every anniversary and every dinner out there. And in addition to their amazing tortilla chips and guac (which are almost impossible to find in South Africa), this place had THE BEST margaritas. We’d order them by the pitcher because they were so awesome. I wanted to bring back that amazing flavor with these cupcakes. And hopefully cupcakes won’t give you that headache the next morning.
Who’s ready for some Cinco de Mayo festivities? I’m already craving the food. If I had to choose any cuisine to eat for the rest of my life it would be an easy choice; Mexican food. Or just nachos. I could live off of that too. …Or tacos….or burritos….ok ALL Mexican food!
And just remember, eat responsibly 😉
- 1⅓ Cups Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Stick Softened Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tsp Lemon Extract
- 1 Tbsp Grated Lime
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1½ Sticks Softened Butter
- 3 Cups Confectioner's sugar
- 2-3 Tsp Tequila
- 1 Tsp Grated Lime
- Milk (as needed)
- Finishing Salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix in lemon extract, grated lime and milk.
- Beat in flour mixture at a low speed in several small batches. Beat until just combined.
- Divide batter between a 12-cup muffin pan. Bake until tops spring back, about 20-25 minutes. Let cool on wire rack.
- For frosting, combine butter and sugar on a medium speed until just combined. Add tequila and lime and beat until creamy. Add milk as needed until frosting reaches smooth consistency. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes, then sprinkle finishing salt on top. Enjoy!