One of my favorite fall foods is squash. Recently I’ve fallen in love with how versatile it is. It can easily go sweet with some butter and brown sugar or savory like with these Italian Stuffed Acorn Squash. Either way, it’s absolutely delicious.
When I was a teenager I worked on a farm for a few years. One of our biggest fall crops were the several varieties of winter squash that we grew. People went nuts for it and I can totally see why. Winter squash is so sweet that it doesn’t seem like you’re eating a health food. And on top of that, it’s easy to prepare. This dish was made in less than an hour, which in my household means an easy quick dinner.
I’m so excited to be going apple picking this weekend. I’m ready to escape the city and go to a farm. It’s like a homecoming for me. And yes I’ll probably buy too much squash/apples/pumpkins, etc. But you know what? TIS THE SEASON. I’ve been good and I haven’t gone to Michaels recently for any decorations or crafting supplies. I can treat myself with food. I’ll allow it 😉
- 2 Acorn Squash
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- ½ Pound Sweet Italian Sausage
- 3 Cups Kale
- 2 Cups Cooked Quinoa
- Optional: Parmesan Flakes
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Halve acorn squash and remove seeds. Spray with cooking spray and put cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake for 35-30 minutes or until soft.
- In a large frying pan sauté onion and garlic until softened. Add sausage and cook until fully cooked through.
- Mix in kale and cook until wilted and soft. Mix in quinoa, salt and pepper.
- Remove acorn squash from oven. Fill cavity with sausage mix and top with parmesan. Enjoy!