I dared to try something that I haven’t ever tried before, a savory pie. Now bear with me here. It’s really, really good. So don’t be freaked out by the term “Savory Pie” because while different than its dessert based cousin, it is just as fulfilling. I made a Heirloom Tomato and Veggie Pie because tomatoes are still in season and I just couldn’t resist them when I went grocery shopping. Yeah it was an impulse buy, but it really paid off!
This pie is filled with cheesy goodness. It has a layer of flavored cream cheese and a heaping of cheddar cheese on top of that! Ah the power of cheese. One thing that makes this Heirloom Tomato and Veggie Pie unique is that I used breadcrumbs on top of the pie. These get baked into the cheese and give the top a crispy cheese crust which tastes amazing. That’s why I left the top without a traditional pie crust, I wanted the cheese to crisp up and get that crunch!
Lately I’ve been getting into southern cooking. Between my trip to New Orleans this spring and my trip to South Carolina this past Labor Day for my cousin’s wedding, my interest in southern cooking has really piqued. I had never heard of a savory pie like this before reading up on southern cuisine. And you know what? It’s called comfort and soul food for a reason. I think the Northeast could use some more of this type of food!
As for now my southern adventures are over, but I’m already planning my next trip. Where should I venture next? I’m feeling like road tripping from Atlanta to Savannah, then heading up into the Carolinas. That BBQ was something else and I need to get back to that asap!
- 1 Premade 9 Inch Pie Crust
- 2 Scallions
- 4 Oz Cream Cheese
- 4 Medium Tomatoes
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Basil
- 1½ Cups Bread Crumbs
- Thyme for Garnish
- Grease an 8 Inch pie pan and place dough in pan. Stretch to fill pan and roll edges. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together scallions and cream cheese. Spread mixture evenly on bottom of pie crust.
- Slice tomatoes and onions and layer over cream cheese. Season with salt, pepper and basil.
- Top with shredded cheese, then sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes or until center is bubbly.
- Let cool completely before serving and garnish with fresh thyme. Enjoy!