Winter isn’t known for it’s variety or abundance of fresh fruit, but it does have an amazing crop of citrus. I’ve been eating a lot of grapefruit recently and decided to come up with a twist on a lemon bar to create Grapefruit Bars. It looks and tastes similar, but is overall sweeter without sacrificing the tang.
Grapefruit comes in some lovely pink and red shades and I think it would be so cool to make this grapefruit bar pink by using those varieties (I had only light pink grapefruits). This is such a great winter dessert and it can easily transition an be a great spring dessert as well. So next time a relative gives you a fruit of the month subscription and you are blessed with an overabundance of citrus, make these grapefruit bars!
We would always serve lemon bars for an Easter dessert. It became a family tradition because my cousin Mike liked a version my mom made SO much, he ask for it every year. The thing with family is that you can’t break from tradition, especially when it comes to food. Food brings back memories and reminds us of all the good times that we have shared together.
If you LOVE grapefruit as much as I do, make sure to check out my Grapefruit Poppyseed Cake!
Grapefruit Bars are a twist on the classic lemon bar. It's the perfect winter and early spring treat! Make sure to grab one before it's gone!
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Softened Butter
- 1/2 Cup Ice Water
- 1 Cup Grapefruit Juice
- 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 1 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 5 Eggs
- Confectioner's Sugar
- Combine flour, sugar, salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in softened butter until mixture has a crumb like consistency. Gradually add ice water to mixture until it sticks together.
- Form dough into a ball. Grease an 11 x 15 inch baking dish and press dough into the dish, evenly coating the bottom.
- Preheat the oven to 375 and bake the dough for 15-20 minutes or until it begins to turn golden.
- Juice the grapefruit (about 2) and the lemon (about 1) and put juice in a medium mixing bowl. Add lemon zest and sugar.
- Beat in 5 eggs and combine until fully blended.
- Pour liquid mix over the dough and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely to set. Sprinkle confectioner's sugar on top and enjoy!