Some meals are simply classics and Pot Roast is one of those for me. I love making Pot Roast when it’s cold and snowy out. I usually use my dutch oven and bake the pot roast in the oven. It’s delicious as it cooks in it’s own juices and develops a great flavor. I’m sure you’ll love my Dutch Oven Pot Roast Recipe as much as me!
One of my all time favorite recipes is a simple cold weather classic: the Dutch Oven Pot Roast. My mom would always make this during the cold and snowy New England winters and it was a recipe that my whole family loved. It’s one of those few recipes where even the leftovers would be gone quickly, which in my household is a sign of a very delicious meal! My pot roast is made with a delicious cut of chuck roast in a dutch oven with lots of winter and root vegetables.
How to make the perfect Dutch Oven Pot Roast
- The perfect Pot Roast starts with a great cut of chuck roast. Ask your local butcher for some if it’s not out on the shelves
- Use a Dutch Oven! This will keep the meat moist and tender. This Dutch Oven Pot Roast Recipe falls apart easily!
- This can also be an oven pot roast recipe – the dutch oven can be on the stovetop or the oven!
I also lucked into some Le Creuset dutch ovens recently and have fallen head over heels in love with them. I am amazed by how well crafted they are. Slowly but surely, I’m building up my kitchen. It’s hard to believe that 3.5 years ago I came to New York with just two suitcases and only a small frying pan, a small pot and a spatula to cook with. The times have certainly changed!
So if you’re looking for an easy, hands off dinner that will warm your soul, THIS is it. I can guarantee it! Make sure to bookmark this page and share it with your friends. What’s your favorite winter meal? Let me know in the comments section below!
Dutch Oven Pot Roast
Dutch Oven Pot Roast is a traditional winter meal perfect for cold days. Dutch oven cooking is simple and quick! And also super tasty!
- 3-5 Pound Chuck Roast
- 2-3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 6-8 Carrots Peeled and Sliced
- 5-7 Small Potatoes Halved
- 3 Cups Beef Broth
- 2-3 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 2-3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- Season chuck roast generously with salt and pepper.
- Coast the bottom of the dutch oven with olive oil and bring to a medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides, then reduce heat to medium.
- Add broth and season with rosemary and thyme.
- Cover and let simmer for 1 hour on a medium-high heat.
- Add vegetables and cover. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 20 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through.
- Remove meat and slice, then serve with vegetables and jus. Enjoy!