What is NYC famous for? Well it also happens to be Tai’s all time favorite dessert so it’s about time that I made a cheesecake for the blog. BUT I didn’t make just any cheesecake, I made an awesome Salted Caramel Cheesecake!
Picture a creamy and airy cheesecake topped with an amazing salted caramel sauce. Sounds good right? You betcha. It totally was 🙂
My aunt always makes a cheesecake for every holiday gathering. My sister is the one to always request it and it usually comes with a strawberry sauce and whipped cream. It’s the best cheesecake I’ve ever had. And I’m not saying that mine comes anywhere close to that, but it is my best attempt so far. And I don’t think Tai would complain if I kept experimenting with cheesecake 😉
Also finishing salt has become one of my favorite new ingredients. It’s a little hard to find and a bit more expensive than regular table salt, but it’s sooooo worth it (Trader Joe’s has their own version that’s usually in the spice section. Try looking for pyramid or flaky salt).
- 1½ Cups Crushed Graham Crackers
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- ½ Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ Cup Butter, Melted
- 3 8-Oz Packages of Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ Cup Milk
- 3 Eggs
- For Caramel:
- 1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Cream
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 2-3 Tbsp Finishing Salt or Kosher Salt
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- For Crust:
- Combine graham crackers, sugar and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Add in melted butter and stir until mixed through. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 8 Inch springform pan. Set aside.
- For Filling:
- Beat together cream cheese, sugar, flour, vanilla and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until combined. Add milk and beat in until smooth and silky. Then add in eggs, combining until mixed through.
- Pour filling into crust. Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes or until edges have set. Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
- For Salted Caramel Topping:
- Mix the brown sugar, cream, butter and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk continuously for 5-7 minutes or until sauce thickens. Add the vanilla and salt, then cook for another. Turn off the heat, let cool and pour the sauce oven the cheesecake.