Nothing says fine dining quite like wine and cheese. Add in some asparagus? Now we’re talking. The asparagus has been looking great recently so I’ve been buying lots of it. It’s one of the first spring vegetables and it just tastes soooo fresh. To be honest I was never a fan of asparagus until recently. I guess you can say I’m a reformed picky eater, but now I’ll eat or at least try everything. Hey mom, remember when I used to only eat spinach salads for dinner during High School? Yup, regret that now.
There’s something about cheese that everyone loves. Maybe it’s because it stimulates the same part of the brain that hard drugs do (seriously, Google it!) but I could eat it with everything and die happy (though probably of a heart attack). A cheese sauce is such an easy way to incorporate cheese into a dish and it’s beyond easy to make. Trust me, when we ate this not a single drop of sauce was left. Not one, single, drop.
So what are some of your favorite spring vegetables? I’m always looking for inspiration!
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Bunch of Asparagus
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- ¼ Cup Minced Shallots
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- ½ Cup White Wine
- ½ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- In a large pan, add trimmed asparagus, oil and all seasonings. Toss to coat evenly and cook on medium until asparagus is bright green and cooked al dente.
- In a sauce pot, cook shallots and garlic until translucent. Add butter and flour and combine. Cook until flour mixture has turned golden.
- Add chicken stock and wine. Stir to fully combine.
- Add cheese and stir until melted through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let cook until sauce has reduced and thickened.
- To serve, drizzle sauce over asparagus and enjoy!